Thursday, February 7, 2008

Let's get lost

I love to explore. It’s part journalistic intrigue and part kindergarten-like fascination, but I really get a kick out of discovering the world around me. And the best way to find things is to get lost.

There was the time I wandered off the hiking path and found a tree denoting the Exact Center of Los Angeles. In New England, some friends and I got off at the wrong bus stop, traveled down Purgatory Chasm Road, and found ourselves at Flo’s Clam Shack. Last year I took an aimless walk in Missouri, found a dry creek bed, collected seashells and hitched a ride back on a mule-led carriage.

Now I’m off to Australia. I’ll stay a few days in Melbourne, then study at the University of Sydney until the end of June with some trips around the continent in between. Don’t worry, I’m not planning to get call-the-consulate lost. I just want to see new things and meet interesting people.

I’ll use this space to write about my explorations, whether they culminate in the discovery of some great spot in the city or just an amusing story. I’m bound to make up some words in the process.

Enjoy.

No comments: